Keto Cajun Shrimp & Cheesy Cauliflower Grits
Love Southern food? This dish is for you.
You have juicy, spicy shrimp and cheese topped grits. Its so tasty, youll be kicking up your cowboy boots.
Use cauliflower rice for your grits to keep it low carb. Besides being low carb, cauliflower rice is quite nutritious.
Its a good source of Vitamin C. It also contains folate, which you need for healthy DNA.
What I love most about this recipe is that it takes only 25 minutes to make. Thus, youll be in and out of the kitchen in no time at all.
Level Of Effort: Medium
Like many high-protein, low-carb diets, you may really need to change what you’re eating while you’re on this plan.
Limitations: Low-carb diets cut out a lot of foods.
Cooking and shopping: The book has sample menus with more than 100 recipes, and suggestions on how to order in every kind of restaurant.
Packaged foods or meals: None are required.
In-person meetings: No.
High Protein Keto Foods
Having a list of tried and true options is good for anything in life, and the same goes for high protein keto foods!
Knowing what keto foods are available to me and making sure I keep them on hand is what makes living a low carb lifestyle sustainable, enjoyable and hangry free!
I threw together this guide as a resource to support you, and help you make every meal a celebration full of high protein low carb foods that actually TASTE GOOD!! Lets check it out!
Also Check: Low Carb Non Alcohol Beer
Quick And Easy Low Carb High Protein Meals
If youre looking for some quick and easy low carb high protein meals to help you lose weight and stay on track with your fitness goals, youve just found them. This is a collection of super simple healthy recipes for dinner, lunch and some for breakfast.
As you may or may not know, I had been struggling for about three years to lose weight after having a baby. After giving birth some women just dust themselves off and look like Giselles. Not this beautiful face. It was round and chubby and had a double chin for a long time. Also a dash of insulin resistance which was new and pretty scary.
Not anymore folks. Not anymore. Ive lost the majority of the weight, Im now almost at my pre-baby weight and Im so happy about it, it literally feels like a weight off my shoulders. Eating a high protein lower carb diet and going gluten and dairy free has definitely helped the most, so I wanted to share some weight loss meals that I love, that have helped me and I still eat regularly. Because once you lose the weight, its not over. You cant just start eating panna cotta and tiramisu like you never learned from your mistakes. You keep eating healthy and keep going out for walks and keep getting enough sleep.
Now these high protein meals, theyre not all dairy-free, but theyre all delicious and you can either meal prep them on Sunday or make in 15-20 minutes during the week.
- Ready in: 20 minutes | Servings: 2
- Kcal: 443 | Protein: 28g | Carbs: 18g | Fiber: 7g | Fat: 31g
At The End Of The Day Fat Is Good For You
If youve come to believe that eating a healthy diet means removing fat from the menu, rejoice in knowing that fat is once more a welcome addition to your daily nutritional needs! If you opt for a diet high in fat and low in carbs, try combining your high-fat options with high-protein options for balance. Many high-fat foods are high in protein as well, which makes it even easier to get your daily allotted macros in every meal. As always, remember to discuss your diet and your health goals with your physician for the most beneficial results possible. When followed properly, a high-fat, low-carb diet may be just the thing for you!
Recommended Reading: Low Carb Before And After
The Importance Of Protein
Protein is important for numerous reasons, from its biological function to the impact it has on body composition and even satiety.
Here are some potential benefits of a higher protein intake
- High protein diets are beneficial for bone health. A systematic review of randomized trials and cohort studies shows that i) optimal protein intake is important for lifelong bone health and ii) protein intake at levels above current recommendations appears to prevent bone mass density loss .
- High protein meals lead to greater satiety. In comparison to high-fat or high-carbohydrate meals, meals with higher protein content have a higher satiating effect. In other words, protein is the most satiating macronutrient. Greater satiation can lead to a reduction in food consumption, leading to better weight regulation .
- Foods high in protein are nutrient-dense. Consider all the high-protein foods you can think of eggs, beef, liver, nuts, fish, and seafood. These foods are all incredibly high in beneficial vitamins and minerals, including nutrients, such as preformed vitamin A , that cant be found elsewhere .
- Improved body composition. As noted in the ISSNs recent position stand, a growing number of studies demonstrate that increasing dietary protein intake above current recommendations improves body composition .
Why Are Carbs Fats And Proteins Important
Image by: psu
The use of carbohydrates for energy is a fundamental function of the sugar molecules. Fats are used to generate energy by breaking them down into fatty acids. Energy is also available in addition to protein, but the first task is to synthesize hormones, muscles, and other proteins.
The proper amount of protein is required for the proper growth of muscles, hair, skin, and bones. Because your body cant keep all of the protein that comes from food, you should consume enough of it. Consumed in moderation, they help you maintain a healthy weight and provide energy to your body. Avoid processed foods and eat whole foods, preferably fruits and vegetables. To help you achieve your fitness objectives, you must consume the right foods, nutrients, and calories. A well-balanced diet should include sufficient protein and complex carbohydrates. This can be accomplished by eating meals high in protein, vegetables, grains, and healthy fats.
Dont Miss: Fairlife Core Power Protein Shake
You May Like: How Much Calories Should I Eat Per Day
Low Carb Pesto Chicken Cauliflower Rice
You need to make this, if you have some leftover chicken in your fridge. This is very much a leftover recipe, which means: I take out everything I have in my fridge by the end of the week and make it into a meal. Its seriously, so good that it deserves its little corner on the internet. Ingredients include: cauliflower, shredded chicken, pesto, garlic. Recipe here.
- Ready in: 15 minutes | Servings: 2
- Kcal: 488 | Protein: 35g | Carbs: 19g | Fiber: 4g | Fat: 32g
This healthy ground beef recipe is spicy and super tasty, perfect dinner for weeknights. Ingredients include cabbage, ground beef, tamari sauce and garlic. Recipe here.
- Ready in: 20 minutes | Servings: 3
- Kcal: 357 | Protein: 26g | Carbs: 11g | Fiber: 3g | Fat: 24g
These meatballs are so easy to make and so good! Serve them with some cauliflower rice, zoodles or a salad for a tasty low carb dinner that is packed with protein. Recipe here.
- Ready in: 20 minutes | Servings: 2
- Kcal: 328 | Protein: 30g | Carbs: 2g | Fiber: 0g | Fat: 22g
Why Its A Bad Idea For People Living With Diabetes
Keto and the like are even worse for people with diabetes! This is another place where short-term results are deceptive, because by reducing your intake of carbs/sugar, you do notice a clear decrease in your blood sugar levels!
However, the cost is that youre drastically increasing your insulin resistance, which means that any return to eating foods high in carbohydrates will skyrocket your sugar levels, lead to weight gain, and can leave you in a worse place than you were before you tried low carb diets!
You May Like: Low Carb Chocolate Chip Cookie
Why High Protein Foods Are Important
The reason a high protein low carb diet plan can work so well is because of all of the benefits high protein foods offer:
- So good for your bones
If youre looking to be on a high protein low carb diet meal plan, friend, youve come to the right place. I have so many recipes designed for that specific purpose!
Breakfast, entrees, desserts, snacks all of its here, available to help create a meal plan thats satisfying, delicious, and sustainable.
Foods To Eat On A Low
Just because youre eating a low-carb, high-protein diet doesnt mean meal prep has to feel like a rollercoaster ride filled with highs and lows. One of the best tips for low-carb, high-protein eating is to plan your meals in advance. Keeping a go-to high-protein, low-carb food list handy and a stocked pantry and fridge filled with approved ingredients makes it easy to pull together a snack or a quick dinner without messing up your food goals. Keep reading to learn what to enjoy and what to skip.
Also Check: Low Calorie Ice Cream Walmart
The Ultimate Zero Carb Foods List Categorized By Practical Use
Now that you have an idea of what zero carb foods you can have from each popular food category, lets organize them in a way that helps us meet our goals.
To help you figure out what zero carb foods you can use to reach specific keto diet targets, we took the foods from above and reorganized them into these categories:
- High-fat, low-protein zero carb foods to help meet your fat needs.
- High-fat, high-protein zero carb foods to help meet your fat and protein needs.
- High-protein, lower fat zero carb foods to help meet your protein needs .
- Low-calorie, zero carb foods to help meet your fiber, vitamin, and/or mineral needs.
If you are not sure how much fat or protein you should be aiming to eat yet, we recommend plugging your information into our keto calculator before moving on. This will give you a better idea of how much you need to eat from a macronutrient perspective.
How To Build A Healthy High
- Balance your macros. Keep your high-protein, low-carb meals to 35% carbohydrates, 30% fat, and 35% protein, Brooking and Harris-Pincus suggest. On a 2,000 calorie diet, this will look like 175 grams of carbohydrates, 67 grams of fat, and 175 grams of protein per day.
- Theres no need to overload the protein. We can only use around 25 to 30 grams of protein per meal to maximize muscle growth and repair, so any extra is just extra calories, Harris-Pincus says.
- Focus on fiber. Seek out meals that have at least half of the total carb grams from fiber, when possible, Harris-Pincus says. Focus on fiber instead of cutting carbs. If each carbohydrate-based food you eat is also high in fiber, you will be full and need to consume fewer calories overallwhich leads to weight loss.
Now that you know the basics, we have a bunch of fun recipes. Try a mix of meals below to create a high-protein, low-carb plan that you can actually stick with.
Don’t Miss: Carbs In Pink Lady Apple
Cheesy Chicken Fajita Casserole
When youve had a tough day, you just want to curl up and relax. And eat some comfort food.
This casserole is for days like that. Juicy chicken is seasoned with fajita seasoning and loaded with Mexican cheese and topped with colorful bell peppers.
Its sure to transport you to a warm beach in Mexico Far from all your worries.
What youll love most about this dish is how fuss-free it is. You only use 5 ingredients and one dish.
Just dump all your ingredients in your casserole dish. And let your oven do the cooking.
Foods And Beverages To Consume In Limited Quantities
The foods on this list can be included, but they shouldnt be the main focus if you want to lose weight. Although many of them are nutritious, their protein percentages arent high. Depending on what you like and the way you eat, you can enjoy them in small quantities on a frequent or even daily basis.
- Cheese: Cheese is delicious, low in carbs, and a great source of calcium. However, it doesnt provide a lot of protein per calorie. Additionally, some people find that eating cheese causes cravings for more.22If you follow a keto or low-carb diet, feel free to have a small portion daily, if you like.Protein percentage range: 39% to 20%
- Nuts: They provide crunch, flavor, and enjoyment at meals and when snacking. Unfortunately, they dont provide much nutrition per calorie.Also, once you start eating nuts, it can be difficult to stop. Eating too many nuts can increase your caloric intake, making weight loss more difficult.23Aim for no more than a small handful no matter what type of nut you choose. Also, portion them out and eat them in a small bowl rather than from the container.Protein percentage range: 18% to 4%
- Low-protein processed meats: Yes, theyre flavorful and convenient. But foods like bacon, sausage, and salami contain far less protein than other meats. Can you still lose weight if you include them in your diet? Absolutely. But try to choose the processed meats listed in the foods to eat section most of the time.Protein percentage range: 23% to 14%
You May Like: How Mant Calories Should I Eat
Lemon Dill Air Fryer Salmon
Love your seafood? Heres another dish for you full of healthy fats that are great for your high-protein diet.
This salmon is simple yet tasty. The dill and lemon juice freshen up the dish.
And its ready in under 20 minutes. So, its perfect for when you need dinner in 1, 2, 3.
Besides being yummy, salmon is good for you too. Its rich in heart-healthy omega-3s.
And it contains potassium. So, feast on that salmon.
To make this dish, youll be using an air fryer. It offers a healthier alternative to deep-frying.
And it makes your food crispy on the outside yet moist on the inside. If you dont have an air fryer yet, you can get a high-quality one here.
Serve with some air fryer zucchini fries. Yum!
Find The Carbohydrate Level Right For You
Everyone is a little different, and what works for one person might not be right for another.
However, this is a high protein, low carb diet plan after all, so an upper limit of 100 grams per day is about right.
Do you enjoy consuming a very low amount of carbohydrate, perhaps sub-50g per day?
Likewise, if you prefer to include a bit more fruit, root veggies, and some tubers or lentils, then thats fine too.
Follow whatever feels right for you.
Recommended Reading: What Is The Low Carb Diet
Instant Pot Creamy Italian Chicken
Chicken breasts are a good source of protein. But, lets face it: they can be pretty bland.
Thats because they dont contain a ton of fat. And as we all know, fat adds flavor.
This Italian chicken is anything but bland. Even though its an easy recipe!
The cream cheese adds flavor and moistness. And the sundried tomatoes add tanginess and sweetnessits a party in your mouth.
To complete the Italian theme, youll definitely want some low carb noodles like Skinny Pasta Shirataki Noodles.
They contain zero grams of net carbs. As an added bonus, theyre gluten-free.
Catching Hidden Carbs: Using Thin Slim Foods Zero Carb Bread As An Example
When looking for keto-friendly foods to add to your diet, youll find some products labeled as having zero net carbs or zero carbs. However, this doesnt mean that there are absolutely no carbs in the product. What this really indicates is that it has less than one gram of net carbs per serving.
Although this is a small difference that wont have a significant impact on your weight loss, these hidden net carbs can add up and reduce ketone production if you are eating multiple servings.
To help illustrate my point, lets take a look at a popular zero-carb bread product made by ThinSlim Foods:
This product is marketed as having zero net carbs, and by using the net carb equation we learned earlier , their claims seem to hold up.
However, if we take a closer look at the label we find five ingredients that have trace amounts of net carbs in them. Also worth noting is that the serving size is relatively small, being one slice of a one-ounce piece of bread.
Altogether, this means that one slice of this bread is going to have between 0 and 1 grams of net carbs in it. If you are being cautious with your net carb intake, you may want to count each slice as having one gram of net carbs to play it safe.
You May Like: Ground Beef Recipe Low Carb
Types Of High Protein Low Carb Diets
Some of the most popular commercial diets commonly considered high in protein and low in carbs dont truly fit into both categories.
Notably, many people regard the Zone Diet and Sugar Busters Diet as high protein, low carb. However, these diets are moderate in carbs, as they typically provide about 40% of calories from carbs.
Additionally, many popular low carb diets, such as Atkins and ketogenic diets, are not considered high protein, low carb. Instead, theyre high fat, low carb or high fat, very low carb, and they only contain moderate amounts of protein.
In fact, no branded diets are known to conform to this pattern.
If youre interested in a strict high protein, low carb diet, you may need to count calories, protein, carbs, and fat to stay within your macronutrient ranges.
This can be difficult, so most people prefer to loosely follow a high protein, low carb diet by replacing high carb foods with protein sources.
Theres no set macronutrient range for a high protein, low carb diet, so most people tend to swap much of their typical carb-heavy foods with protein sources.
As such, high protein diets may provide numerous benefits as may low carb eating patterns, which are often associated with weight loss.
Thus, combining the two diets may give numerous advantages.